This was received at 17:30 last Friday evening. It’s believed the Council was aware of the issue since Anniversary Weekend (22 January), see this Joel Maxwell story.
“Following on from the reported link between the Raumati splash pad and cryptosporidium, the Kāpiti Coast District Council would like to remind people who’ve recently had diarrhoea or a tummy upset that they shouldn’t swim in public pools or attend splash pads for at least two weeks, as bugs like crypto can spread quickly in shared water.
‘As soon as the Council was notified that there was a possible connection at the Raumati splash pad, we took appropriate action and closed the splash pad as a precautionary measure,’ says Mr Pedersen. ‘We are working with Regional Public Health who are the lead agency on this matter.’
“The best way to prevent cryptosporidiosis infection is to always practice good hand washing and drying after using the toilet, changing nappies, and before preparing or eating food. Stay home from school or childcare centres until 48 hours after the diarrhoea stops. Also, remember not to share bugs by avoiding swimming pools and splash pads while sick and for two weeks after symptoms stop.
“Cryptosporidium is a parasite that lives in the intestines of people, birds, and animals. It produces cysts (eggs) that can survive in the environment for a long time. When a person, bird, or animal is infected they pass out the cysts in their faeces.
“Cryptosporidium is most often spread by hands contaminated with faeces during toilet use or nappy changing. From hands, it can spread to surfaces, toys, food, and water. It also spreads in shared water such as swimming pools. When the cysts are swallowed, the person then becomes infected.”