This was built in 1928 as a Public Conveniences block at the north end of Kent & Cambridge Terraces. The design was Raj-influenced and it has been known ever since as the ‘Taj Mahal’. In recent decades it has been used as a restaurant/bar.

We only mention it because Kapiti’s Queen of Grandstanding, Janet Holborow (see earlier post), made a fuss about those who refer to the Guru Gateway as the ‘Kaj’ (the Kapiti Taj Mahal), asserting — believe it or not — that it had racial overtones!