These English Electric multiple units (supplemented in peak hours by locomotive hauled carriages visible in the centre) moved commuters from Wellington to Paekakariki beginning in 1949.
It wasn’t until 1983 that the wires were extended the 10 km to Paraparaumu, and not until 2011 another 8 km to Waikanae.
The extra 15 km from Waikanae to Otaki can best be described as “under discussion” and is a Wellington Regional Council matter together with the central government.
The old English Electric trains probably made it to Paraparaumu under their own power after 1983 while the Ganz Mavags appeared, but it’s unlikely that the restored Cyclops (see earlier) ever did to Waikanae. (Russ Bidgood pic)