A media release from the NZTA yesterday is below. We posted pictures of their intentions last year which raised concerns about the narrowing of the traffic lanes in this section to accommodate the Politically Correct cycle lanes.
The NZ Transport Agency is advising that work to turn a section of state highway on the Kāpiti Coast into a local road will get underway this month, following consultation with the community and Kāpiti Coast District Council.
Stage one of the Mackays to Peka Peka (M2PP) Revocation project will focus on the northern end of Waikanae town from Main Road North, adjacent to New World supermarket, to Peka Peka Link Road. It is scheduled to start on Tuesday 22 January and finish in April this year. The works do not include the section of the state highway through the Waikanae town centre.
It will involve a new road layout to suit lower traffic volumes, localised road and pavement widening, and resurfacing work as part of ongoing maintenance.
The works are part of a much wider construction programme on the 13.5 kilometre section of road from Poplar Avenue to Peka Peka Link Road which is no longer required to function as a state highway since the opening of the M2PP (Kāpiti) Expressway in February 2017.
“M2PP is the first of the Wellington northern corridor projects to be completed, separating local and highway traffic to ensure safer and more efficient trips for people travelling along the Kāpiti Coast,” the Transport Agency’s Senior Manager Project Delivery Chris Hunt says.
The revocation process, which involves removing the existing state highway classification and making it a local road, means that the Kāpiti Coast District Council will become the new custodians of the road.
Before this can happen, the Transport Agency is committed to ensuring that the road is fit-for-purpose and meets the Kāpiti community’s wider aspirations.
“The Transport Agency and the Kāpiti Coast District Council have been working together to design and deliver a suitable, safe local road that enhances connectivity through and across the district,” Mr Hunt says
The revocation construction programme is expected to take approximately 18 to 24 months to complete. To minimise disruption to the community, the work is being carried out in stages.
Further information on the project is available at www.nzta.govt.nz/M2PP-revocation
Big thank you guys for trying to keep these @#%$ to task but clearly this Mr Hunt has already forgotten who you are and what you did.
Oh by the way the two stages erected in Mahara Place are just an accident waiting to happen.
Imagine a toddler tumbling off the unprotected stage and suffering a brain injury for life. I’m quiet disgusted with the council. Perhaps our Councillors’ office looks down on the stages and counld see about putting some protection around them.
Waikanae watcher said:
To our knowledge there is only a requirement for a deck to be fenced if it is more than 1 metre above the ground, but some rubber just below and around the stages like they have around playground swings would be a good idea.
With a house, if a ranchslider is 600mil off the ground steps are required or lower if an inspector feels that way inclined. If there are more than 2 steps a handrail is required.
This stage thing is in a public place.
I think the council is being pretty inept again.
Let us just hope there isnt any injury which could be averted.