National population estimates give the best available measure of the population, by age and sex, usually living in New Zealand.
At 31 December 2022:
- New Zealand’s estimated resident population was provisionally 5,151,600
- there were 2,595,500 females and 2,556,100 males
- the median age of females and males was 39.2 and 37.2 respectively.
During the year ended December 2022:
- New Zealand’s population grew by 35,200 (0.7 percent)
- estimated natural increase (births minus deaths) was 19,400
- estimated net migration (migrant arrivals minus migrant departures) was 15,800.
Visit our website to read this information release: