A 1914 model (Ford?) truck bought at Adam Burges Machinery and Wagons of Paekakariki by Arthur David Wootton to deliver cream to Waikanae from his farm in Reikorangi. The truck is marked Waikanae Branch, Cheltenham Co-operative Dairy Coy Ltd. It’s not clear if the dealer arranged the lettering.
The Wootton property was first surveyed as an apple orchard, but before it was well established the property was bought by Dr Knight of Wellington as a weekend retreat at the turn of the century. The Wootton family were dairy farming from about 1914 to 1975 and then ran a small number of sheep.
Grandson P Wootton of Reikorangi continued to farm the property of his forebears. (via Kapiti District Libraries)