This week includes over 30 events of talks, walking tours, property tours, films, and exhibitions across the Kapiti Coast, Lower Hutt, Upper Hutt and Wellington City.
- Wellington City Archives Tours and Talks: Come along to a free behind the scenes tour, followed up by a Q & A opportunity. There will be 4 tours throughout the day and some talks that will tell you a bit about the collection and some research advice. Monday 22 October. Tours leave at 10:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, & 2:00pm. Talks will be at 10:30, 11:30, and 1:30. Booking is required. Contact email@example.com or call 04 801 2096.
- Blockhouse Open Day: Visit Upper Hutt’s historic Blockhouse and its special exhibition. Built in 1860 during the New Zealand Wars to protect colonial settlement in the Hutt Valley, the Blockhouse is one of very few of its type remaining in NZ. It never saw action, but was used as a Police House and Court House between 1868 and 1876. 11am-3pm Sunday 28 October. Blockhouse Lane off McHardie St. Free.
- From Pito-one to Petone Tour: A free heritage tour on the history of Petone from the 1800’s to today. Join us in our heritage building to share stories of our past – and a lovely cup of tea. Together we’ll step back in time and tour through industrialisation, the settler’s ship Aurora and Te Atiawa’s long standing settlements around our beautiful harbour. We’ll finish with a cuppa and bikkie and an opportunity to share memories of our personal Petone. 12pm Tuesday 23 and Thursday 25 October. Booking is required. Click here to book.
- Truby King House and Garden Tours: Visit the former home of Sir Truby King and Lady Isabella King, the founders of the Plunket Society. Sir Truby is widely remembered for his contribution to improving the health of children. Truby King House and Garden is a 1.9 hectare heritage-listed estate in Melrose built in 1923 by pre-eminent Wellington architect William Gray Young. The free tours will start in the house and finish with a stroll through the garden planted with pines, roses, rhododendrons and azaleas by King himself. The gardens offer picturesque views over the city. 10am-4pm. Monday 22 October. Booking is required. Click here to book.
- Kapiti Coast Museum Tours: Explore this grand old heritage listed building on Elizabeth Street, Waikanae which has stood for 110 years. On the tour you will get to hear the stories of the Museum and view the current display of the now extinct Waikanae Hack Racing Club which existed from 1904 through to 1914 along with a display that commemorates the 125th Anniversary of the gaining of the vote for women in New Zealand in 1893. 10am-4pm Friday 26 to Sunday 28 October. 9 Elizabeth Street, Waikanae. Free.
More events and booking details can be found at www.wellingtonheritageweek.co.nz.