“This flaxmill was situated near the north bank of the Waikanae River, a few yards [metres] east of the railway line and north of the river bank. The locality was known as “The Pit”. Stansell’s flaxmill was operated c1899–1904, and was owned and managed by Mr Robert (Bob) Stansell.
“Mr William (Bill) Dalzell was a feeder and stripper-keeper at this mill from about 1900 until the mill closed down. He recalls that the mill was a two-stripper concern, using flax cut from swamp areas between Paraparaumu and Waikanae.
“A small area of flax at Plimerton was cut also. The flax was transported to the mill by horse-drawn cart and the bales of fibre were carted to the Waikanae railway station for transporting to Wellington.” The fibre was used to make linen and rope. (from Palmerston North Digital Library)