It’s ironic that, each year, ‘Australia Day’ is celebrated on January 26, which commemorates the day that the British Navy first sailed into Sydney Cove, hoisted their flag, and declared the land their penal colony.
So Australia Day does not celebrate the birth of a nation so much as the ribbon-cutting of a giant prison.
Clearly in 2021, Australia has simply been returning to its roots as the world’s largest prison.
You know the story by now— “two weeks to control the spread” of Cv-19 became “indefinite dictatorship and total suspension of basic human rights.”
Over the course of the last 18 months, Australia’s state and federal governments have:
- Banned citizens from leaving the country without permission.
- Banned citizens from entering the country, with threat of five years in prison.
- Banned citizens and residents from crossing state borders.
- Banned citizens and residents from traveling further than 5k from home without permission.
Ironically, an Australian government website lays out citizens’ “right to freedom of movement” and says that this very basic human right “cannot be made dependent on establishing a purpose or reason for leaving.”
But Australia doesn’t have to follow its own rules, nor care about the human rights of all the little people, because it’s an emergency.
In the name of covid Australian police and government officials have also:
- Tracked a large fast food order to a party to fine guests $26,000 for an unauthorized gathering.
- Deployed the military to enforce lockdowns. Deployed helicopters to threaten young healthy men playing soccer.
- Told people not to talk to their neighbors.
- Executed several dogs to prevent rescue workers from coming to the town.
- Arrested a pregnant mom in front of her kids for posting about an anti-lockdown rally on social media.
- Refused to grant a travel exception to a three year old boy visiting his grandparents separated from his parents for months, because of a surprise border closure.
- Caused a newborn infant to die because the mother was denied permission to travel across state borders for medical care.
It is also now illegal to plan, publicize, or participate in protests.
Reblogged this on Independent Citizens.